Pages

Sunday 16 February 2014

FASHION // LFW // Topshop Unique AW14

As far as fashion weeks go, I always love the Autumn/Winter collections a lot more than Spring/Summer. Today saw the Topshop Unique AW14 collection at the Tate Modern. 

Regardless of Fashion Week, I'm having a bit of a 'not that interested' phase with Topshop. I feel that there's nothing original and it's often overpriced, but it might just be because my style is changing and I'm looking to places like Zara and River Island. Either way, there's no denying that Topshop is ridiculously popular and I think that there's potential for it to end up becoming a high-end brand. 

For me, the AW14 collection was a little bit hit & miss, like with a lot of their clothing items at the moment. I found that there were elements to each item that were really nice and stood out, but over all I thought the combinations were a little too mis-matched and over all, I didn't really like the collection. For me, there's been a lot better designs and outfits compiled in the past but I put this down to Topshop attempting to re-create high end looks but being restricted to high-street, if that makes any kind of sense. 

photos: ELLE.co.uk
I'm not usually one for 'brown', but I do like tan/beige and creams. In the first outfit I really like the use of different textures, I love the tan leather zip up, matched with the fur of the coat. It's nice to see the outfit consisting of a mix of warm tones, rather than trying to add in any other colours eg: burgundy or black...[we all know my feelings towards brown and black being mixed.] If Topshop do anything well, it's tailoring and I think mid-walk, these clothes look really flattering on the model and sit well on the body. In the second outfit, I like the embellishment on the top and the layering. I'm not a huge fan of the fur, but I can imagine come winter fur will be back in [as always] and the light purple tones in this coat will be really popular. 


Out of all the collection, I really liked these three outfits. I love the trousers in the first outfit, I think high-wasted jogger/cigarette trousers are always really flattering, managing to look chic but chilled at the same time. I like the sheen of the trousers and how the light catches on them, I can imagine these looking great on a night out with a bold pair of heels and a crop top. The top isn't really my cup of tea, but I really love sheer tops that cover in just the right places. The middle dress, as discussed by me and my friend, would be a really sophisticated prom dress. Compared to the sheer top with the embellishments on the first outfits, I think the white detail is more flattering and looks a lot nicer than the darker my obvious pattern. I think the length of the skirt is really unusual, but on the right person it'd look really pretty. The last outfit is probably my favourite of the entire collection, I'm a huge fan of the skirt/braces/shirt look and the velvet look/leather detailing incorporates both texture and trends, which similarly to last year will no doubt be huge again this autumn/winter. I'm not a huge fan of the puffer coat, I wish I could see the shirt in more detail, but I'm always a huge fan of monochrome and this combination for me, is perfect. Socks and loafers are also a tick from me.


It's also really refreshing to see cobalt, electric and baby blue's getting involved in an Autumn/Winter collection. Blue is one of my favourite colours and in my opinion it's never utilized enough, I love the knitwear and layering, as well as the differentiation between layers and tones. 

Overall, I think the collection had a few really good pieces and a few shockers. It had a really girly, school girl/glitzy feel and for me, there was nothing 'street style' about it. I'd like to have seen for a high-street brand, some jeans, more knitwear and shirts but again, I think Topshop is really fighting the inner urge to be high end but in reality it's just high-street. 

You can watch the show here, let me know what you think below.

No comments:

Post a Comment