Pages

Monday 17 February 2014

FASHION // LFW // Burberry Prorsum AW14

My highlight of every London Fashion Week is always the Burberry Prorsum show.

Burberry for me, is quintessentially British and proud. Aside from the clothes, the brand promotes all things Brit, whether it's the catwalk/campaign models [Cara Delevingne, Suki Waterhouse, Jamie Campbell-Bower] or upcoming music artists [Burberry Acoustic], it's like a massive team effort. There's definitely something timeless about Burberry, with classic trench coats or their nude make-up collections, it's perfect for all ages and different backgrounds. I could talk about how brilliant Burberry is all day long, what a testament Christopher Bailey is to British fashion and lots more, but here's my thoughts on the Burberry Prorsum Womenswear Autumn/Winter 2014 collection.

Photos: VOGUE.co.uk
The show began with a water-coloured London skyline in A/W shades, burgundies, camel tan, purples etc. 
The collection was extremely feminine with lace and loose chiffon. Scarfs are clearly a focal point for this Burberry collection and I thought it was really unique having them tucked under the belt, the belt definitely added shape to the flowing layers. Layering that incorporates both colour and texture, as we've seen in the rest of Fashion Week is going to be huge this winter. 
I loved the use of strong colour, such as the deep burgundy on the lace dress above and the royal blue hem of the scarf in the third look. The line began with very fresh, light pastels and darkened, with thicker fabric and stronger colours as the show continued [as shown in the pictures above]. I loved the shoes with the peep-toe and the addition of the hand painted leather bags. 


The fact sheepskin coats are in the AW collection made me a very happy chappy. Obviously, there needed to be the traditional tan sheepskin coat, but I loved the black coat on the right with the turned up sleeves, I also liked that one coat was cropped and the other a little longer, similar to the lengths of the trench-coats. These coats are quite heavy and bulky in contrast to the light-as-air scarfs and dresses, with quite cluttered prints, but that only makes each element more wearable together as well as separately. 


I'm not usually a pink kind of gal, but the pastel, dusky pinks used in this collection really caught my attention. Teamed with black and a little hint of blue, I thought it didn't look as 'girly' as I often perceive it to be. I noticed that midi-dresses seem to be making a come back this autumn/winter, but with a rather daring neckline which I'm all for, the thin, light-weight look of the dresses added to the ethereal feminine vibe, with shapeless 'boyfriend' style coats to add a bit of masculinity back into the line. The scarfs/shawls whatever you want to call them are all gorgeous and I particularly liked the print on the one in the first picture. 
Capes are always a Burberry favourite and are something the brand is very comfortable with, I liked the light beige shade of the one on the right. Matilda Lowther looked absolutely gorgeous and I thought she did the thigh-high split justice. Despite the main element to the looks being drapy and shapeless, Burberry have done a great job of adding in elements that change it from frumpy to eye-catching, eg: sheer lace, thigh high splits, belting, daring necklines. 


I love that blue is going to be bang on trend this Autumn/Winter as it's probably my favourite colour. The first picture is my favourite look of the entire show, I love the floaty dress, with the dropped neckline and split towards the front, the shoes add a subtle bit of detail, as well as the hand painted bag and the shawl/scarf just makes the look. I adore the deep turquoise shade in contrast to the dusky pastel blue, pastels and royal shades are definitely something Burberry played with this collection. 
Of course, Cara closed the show, wearing her personally initialed scarf/shawl 'CJD' [all of the models received their own]. Her finale look brings all the trends for AW14 together, layering, clashing prints, different textures and deep royal shades. 


In my opinion, Burberry have delivered another flawless collection and I can't wait to have a better look at the AW14 make-up and nail varnishes. Christopher Bailey, you did it again. 





No comments:

Post a Comment