Pages

Sunday 2 March 2014

LIFESTYLE // Rizzle Kicks // March 1st 2014

I've been to quite a few gigs in my 18 years of life, so let me tell you this is no exaggeration when I say that the Rizzle Kicks gig I went to last night in Hammersmith, London was by far the best live act I have ever seen. 

I'm always a little apprehensive about 'special guests' and 'supporting acts' as they'll either be similar to the headliner or completely different. The first act, Thunderbird Gerard [HERE] really surprised me and although it's cliche to say, I've actually become a massive fan. There's something Childish Gambino/Kendrick Lamar about him. He had a great stage presence and really got the crowd going which is always difficult being the first act on. I have spent most the morning listening to his songs and I'm really considering going to see him on his own tour. Plus, he wasn't that bad on the eye. His music has a really unique sound and is more multi-dimensional than your usual rap songs, I love 'Trouble' [HERE]. 


I've been a huge fan of Rizzle Kicks ever since 'Down with the Trumpets' dropped. Although they're labelled as being 'pop', you have Harley who has the most beautiful soulful voice that I've ever heard live and Jordan who's an incredibly talented rapper. Their music does have a pop sound to it but that is definitely masked by the jazz vibe. The contrast of Harley's voice and Jordan's rapping usually wouldn't make sense but together its perfect. I always think of Rizzle Kicks are being two guys you'd hang out with, they seem really down to Earth and were so interactive with the crowd. There were a lot of  'tongue-in-cheek' moments, for example having Mary Poppin's 'A Spoonful of Sugar' as one of the pre-act song choices, as well as opening the show with the theme tune of 20th Century Fox. Rizzle Kicks manage to balance really soulful moments [Harley singing a cover of Ray Charles' 'Georgia on my mind'] with their songs that you can't help but dance like a complete loser to [Mama do the Hump, Down with the Trumpets]. I adored the use of live trumpets and saxophones, it gave Rizzle Kicks such a unique spin compared to other artists that reply on a laptop and some speakers, or just simply your generic band setup. 


Going into the gig, I had a massive thing for Jordan but coming out I've got a huge soft spot for Harley. They were both so charismatic on stage and the crowd was electric. 
Mixing their first album 'Stereo Typical' and their latest album 'The Roaring 20's' they played classics such as 'Down with the Trumpets', 'Mama do the Hump', 'Traveller's Chant' and some new songs such as 'Lost Generation' and my personal favourite from their second album 'I love you more than you think'. 
I've never been to a gig that's had such a cool vibe, purely because everyone could let their hair down, pull some shockingly bad dance moves and listen to some real live music. There was nothing pretentious about the performance as Jordan and Harley weren't afraid to dance and have a laugh, which its really refreshing as artists are usually extremely uptight these days and to see them loosing their shit over Jason Derulo's song 'Talk Dirty' was just brilliant. 

There's something so effortlessly cool about these two guys as well as the fact they're extremely talented, as well as being totally British [which we discovered they're very proud of after Jordan's speech] unique. I would pay time and time again to see these guys. I honestly had such a laugh and really let loose. I genuinely cannot get over how great a night I had and I've never raved this much about a gig before.

Rizzle Kicks most definitely get 10/10 for their gig last night and I've never given anyone that before.


No comments:

Post a Comment