Pages

Thursday 14 August 2014

THE END OF AN ERA

So, that's it. Education done and dusted as of 8:30am this morning. The last 24 hours have been insane.

As some of you may know, at the start of this year I made the decision to not go to University. I've never been very academic as well as knowing inside that even if I did go to University, I wouldn't be able to get the grades needed for the only course I'd ever considered actually doing...I just knew I was ready to leave education and see what real life had to offer. I'm of the mind that there was no point doing a degree for the sake of it, especially if I wasn't going to pursue a career in that area. Ever since September of last year, I've had a part-time job in a certain high street store that I wear rather a lot [hint hint] and I am super lucky that as soon as I finished my exams at the beginning of June I was offered a full-time position. In a way, that definitely lifted the pressure because I knew that I was already in a secure job and it'd be easier to get another one, rather than fight to get a job in August with whatever results I landed.

Results. I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting anything incredible. I took loads of resits this year and that on top of the stress of A2 exams alone was just hideous. They're not anything to be shouting from the rooftops, believe me some of my mates have come out with straight A's and are heading off to Cambridge University, which is crazy and I'm so proud of them, but for me - just that fact that I stuck out two more years of education when I hated it so much - these grades are a huge achievement for me. I can sit here all day and say how if I'd focused more, or revised more they might have been different but I can't change it. So, overall at AS Level I have: English Literature - C, Sociology - C and a Certificate in Financial Studies, then full A Levels I got Media Studies - C, Religious Studies - D and Psychology - E. I may not have passed at an A* but I have technically passed all my A Levels, just not very well.

I've always been honest on my blog and this to me is the end of an era. I'm not an overly emotional person and today I found myself having a little boohoo on a rather busy train. Sixth Form has genuinely been the best time two years of my entire life. It sounds cliche but I've really found myself in these past two years, not only aesthetically have I become comfortable in my own skin [which having suffered from an eating disorder in the past is a huge leap] and developed my own personal style that I love, I've grown up so much and evened out. In the past two years I've gained so much life experience and independence. I've met the most amazing people. Honestly, it makes me so sad that in September we'll all be scattered across different parts of the country but the memories we've all shared and the fact we've grown up together means the entire world to me and I won't forget a second.

I started Sixth Form in 2012 in a dark place and I was really lost, but two years on I couldn't be happier with the person I've become. I am a believer in finding your own way in life, some people know what they want and how to get it straight away and then there's people like me that take a bit longer. But you will find it, it'll come to you when you least expect it. I never in my wildest dreams expected to take A Levels, let alone at 18 years old walk into a full-time job two days after my final ever exam, I never thought I'd have this little blog that means the world to me and the prospect of a career in fashion or for that matter be in the position to move to central London in 2015.

I don't ever say it enough, but I am incredibly lucky. My Dad, that means more to me than words can describe has supported me through everything. He is my idol, having to take on the role of Mum and Dad definitely isn't easy but he's an amazing human being with the biggest heart and I am so proud to have him as my Dadda. I can't express the love I have for my friends, the friends I spent secondary school with that followed me through to Sixth Form and those that I met on the very first day or the last - you've made me laugh and cry and it's been...I don't want to get too emotional or soppy, but it's genuinely meant more to me than I can explain.

It may well be the end of an era, but this is how it starts [sneaky little 1975 quote there] and it's so true. I'm 18 years old and I have my entire life in front of me. I am so excited to see where the next year takes me and I love that I'll be able to document every little moment on this blog so that in ten years I can look back and it'll all be here, every thought, everything.

Too anyone that got their results today, I genuinely cannot wish you enough luck for whatever is next for you. If you're feeling a little lost or scared of the future, I promise it'll all fall into place and there will be ups and downs but it'll be well worth it.

I'm off out to celebrate the future along with my intelligent best-buds that I couldn't be more proud of. Thank-you for all your views on this blog and if you follow me that means so much.
See you in my next post guys,
Gabi xxxx

2 comments:

  1. Your results are good! i got mine today to its hard not to compare your results to the people getting top of the class but at the end of day not everything is about results! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks babe! How did yours go? Really hope you're happy with them!! I totally agree, thank-you for such a lovely comment Olivia! :) x

      Delete