Pages

Sunday 15 February 2015

NYFW | ALEXANDER WANG FALL 2015

What better way to spend Valentine's Day than with Alexander Wang?
Wang knows how to put on a show, with the coolest front-row, venue and soundtrack - this years Fall collection was no exception. 

On first look, there's one word to describe the collection: punk. With subtle nods to the grunge scene we're all too aware of, it's all about metal-metal-metal. A bold idea convicted excellently, proving just why Alexander Wang is one of the greatest fashion designers, ever. 
To me, it's a massive relief to not see any 70's influence and Wang's vision unphased by the trend in this collection. 


I thought I'd switch things up and start with my two favourite looks of the collection before pulling Wang Fall 2015 apart. 

No one does androgynous better than Alexander and maybe that's why I love the brand so much, so I was really surprised to see the look on the left. Although it's never lacks the punk inspiration, there's a little bohemian influence within the look; the fringing, the halter neck top and I really like it done the Wang way. 

If I could pluck the bomber-look jacket off of the runway and literally run away with it, I'd do it in a second. I love the stitching detail and the slightly oversized fit. Teamed with the satin look jogger styled bottoms and the chunk, punk boots it's such a bold, strong look that would knock anyone out instantaneously. Sports-luxe is a trend Wang never seems to set aside and I think he seamlessly blended it into the newly inspired punk influence. 


Wang very much focused on texture within this collection, mixtures of chains, studs, cut-outs and velvets. The actual cuts themselves aren't anything new but the attention to detail is. As always with Wang, to keep the feminine edge to an otherwise androgynous collection, he places emphasis on the waist with high necks and bold shoulders. Drenching everything in metal, teamed with of black [of course], the collection is the edgiest we've seen from Wang in a long time.


Sheer elements, tailoring/structure dresses and metallic bomber jackets. True Wang sports-luxe creations hidden within new trend pieces. 


The punk influence I aforementioned for me was most evident within the shoes. The platform sole, the chunky buckles and studding detail. Embroidered ball-barings into the fabric of the clothes, it's something you'd see in Camden, London and that fxcking rocks. I really do see a British influence in this collection. 


In my opinion there's definitely a 90s mix to the grunge/metal based collection. Maybe it's the blue trousers and the over-sized jumper above, but here and there I feel as if there's subtle hints. I wouldn't be surprised if grunge style was used to relax the harsh punk elements that Wang expects to see this fall. 

-

Alexander Wang is my highlight of NYFW. 
The collections consistently reinvent themselves but there's trademark Wang elements that you'll never be without. No doubt a trendsetter for Fall 2015, Although some of these pieces are extremely bold and clumpy, I think Wang presents a realistic way to style punk. I am really excited to see people's interpretations of the collection and experiment with punk elements myself.

see the full collection & VOGUE's thoughts HERE

[photo credits: VOGUE.CO.UK]

No comments:

Post a Comment